Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Implode, return, repeat

I must get out. If I don't, I will implode.  My children have put me on the run.  I retreat to the porch with cheese and wine.  I very seldom have more than a glass, but this day feels like it could justify a vat.  It's time to cook dinner.  Levi has been up since noon.  He's crying in his bed, but I know once he's this worked up the odds of him falling asleep are very bad.  Like me, once I get like this I can't go to God; when I'm already hoarse from yelling at the big but not as big as she thinks she is girl. I am desperate ....facebook, wine, food, maybe I'll buy something online.  I am an empty hole, screaming for any kind of relief, and I can't look where deep relief lies.  Maybe I am ashamed, or maybe anger can't stand before God. 

They would be better off without me, I sometimes think when it's ugly; without all my sins that rear and buck again and again.  I just can't get it right, and I can't even look where I know I'll find it.  I push away, like the 6 year old, until my blood cools, and the only thing left fierce is guilt.  I burn out.  I stretch thin; my bible study girl cracks and bleeds.

My God receives me like the parent I wish I was.  Why is this so hard? Why did you give me children to damage? I return, but I don't know how to do better tomorrow- when the inevitable happens and attitudes flair, shoes get tripped over, reminded to pick up and tripped over again, naptime comes without rest, oh I am manic during the screaming naps, girls fight, and tattle, and demand.  I do not know how to grow up and become the parent who can parent herself, but as I know, the absent parent is worse.

I try again.  Returning is all I have, and the miracle of littles is that they know something I have forgotten: every day is new.

No comments:

Post a Comment