Friday, December 14, 2012

Cold shoulder and a side of snubbin

After being with my husband for 71/2 years, I still have a sister in law that likes to pretend that I don't exist. Christmas cards come addressed to my husband only, I am a ghost at family gatherings, gifts go unacknowledged or only my husband gets thanks, as though he sent her flowers on her birthday.....If I make an attempt at conversation, I receive only the most curt, perfunctory response.  After all this time I have no idea what I have done to warrant this.  I have tried to chalk it up to her being shy, and give the benefit of the doubt, but honestly, even a seriously socially impaired person could write my name on a Christmas card.

Since these in laws live out of state, the only result so far has been tears of frustration on my part after holidays, but since they have recently decided to move to Billings as soon as they can find work here, I foresee more opportunity for....well, tears, frustration, and giving up, or....grace.

She has one son, and is now pregnant with their second child.  Her child and mine will be born within months of each other.  I really want to be able to be a blessing and a support system for them here, but I don't know how to begin after so much hurt.

I really need your prayers, that I will be able to hang in there, and love the heck out of my sister in law until she has no choice but to relent, and for her, that she will be able to let go of whatever is burdening her, and accept that I am her brothers wife, and will be staying for the duration, and no amount of ignoring will cause me to vanish, and that even if her feelings toward me never change, that the love of Jesus will show through me and sustain me for as long as it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment