Monday, December 10, 2012

The Terribles

My beloved Baylie Rose is starting to go through the terrible twos.  She is a happy little angel until she doesn't get her way and then she is a tiny but terrible ball of fury, but Alas, she is not the subject of this post.  Morgan, who seemed to begin the terrible twos at 17 months, had a bit of a lull at 3, has taken it up a notch since Baylie was born.  Though she has struggled with listening at home, she has always managed to be a model of politeness and caring elsewhere; garnering mind boggling compliments to those of us with her at home, but recently, she has been having trouble listening at school, she bit her best friend, and today she threw ice in her school friends face, even after he was crying for her to stop.

After the teacher met me in the drop off line, on the way home from school, I cried.  I have never been more shocked and disappointed as a parent.  Now you all know that I don't have perfect control of my temper, that I raise my voice more than I should, and I confess, on a couple of occasions I have slapped my daughter across the face before I even thought about what I had done.  Terrible thing to confess in a blog, I know, but I have to own what is my hand in this.  Sick and ashamed, I had to ask my small daughter for forgiveness. It is no justification, I know, but breaking the pattern of parenting in anger that you grew up with is no easy task.  Though that was quite some time ago now, I imagine it is something she won't soon forget, and I never will, but on the whole, we have tried very hard to be consistent loving parents.  We have taught our children about Christ's love and forgiveness, even when that means sucking it up and admitting that we need it as well.  We have read all the right books, and try to do all the right things.  We have had many conversations about kindness and bullying.  Yet as I write this, I can not understand why, from the beginning this child has been a challenge to me unequal to any other challenge in my life, and why she would behave this way when she knows right and wrong.  I do know, a good deal of it comes down to attention.  I feel like even though I am a stay at home mom, I will never have enough to give; she always needs more, and yet every time we take her aside to do something special, she acts out immediately afterword in spectacular fashion.  Also, when we calmly explain the consequence she has earned, she often respond punitively, :Well then I'm gonna______"

This is a post written in desperation! Can those slaps across the face when mommy lost control be enough to cause all this??? It seems like nothing we do has any effect, that  getting her way is the only ruling force in her mind.  She doesn't seem to grasp the cause and effect of having earned the consequences, though we talk to her about it, she always says that it is us not being nice.
Am I a terrible mother???  How can I get through to her before it is too late? I will never be perfect enough to never raise my voice.  Am I doomed to ruin my children?  If so, why is God giving us another one? Help!!!

3 comments:

  1. No, the two slaps on the face did not cause her behavior!
    No, you are not a bad mother!
    No, it is not too late!
    No, you are not doomed!

    Morgan, is a very strong child and will go far in life because of her strong will. She will grow up to be be an amazing young lady because you and Lance love Jesus and seek him in all things! In the mean time she is challenging you to show her where the boundaries are. She is one that you will never be able to give an inch to, ever! She will teach you to be consistant as you never have been before. Today she was just seeing where the boundaries were with her friend and the adults at the school. She got caught up in the moment and because of her strong will, there was no backing down until she was made too.

    Mandi, you are a great mom. You are doing the most important thing you can ever do, seeking Jesus in all of this craziness. Keep being consistant and keep providing the boundaries, and in the mean time give Morgan over to God, because he loves her far more than you ever can. Trust him to give you the strength to parent her as he is asking you to.
    Hugs to you my friend!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey.
    Parenting has a STEEP learning curve. Not a one of us is perfect at it. I can tell you that breaking a cycle of parenting out of anger is HARD, but it can be done.
    First thing I would do is start to practice speaking words of life to and about your child. This will change the way that you think about her, and the way that others perceive that you think about her. Words can be the strongest tool of distruction or building depending on how they are used. Choose to speak words of life in your home instead of words of death.
    Second, you need to assess where how YOU respond to her and to your husband. You are her number one example of behavior. Something I've noticed in this house is that crap rolls downhill. Goob gets in trouble by me, but then she takes it out on Mr. Man, and then he takes it out on Jelly...it just trickles down. Just something to be aware of.
    Third, a wonderful book to read is the five love languages. Maybe quality time is not her love language. I could take my "touch" child out on a hundred special outtings, but if I am not meeting his love language need of being touched then he is going to act out.
    Fourth, keep asking for help. ;) It takes a village to raise a child. That is why we are called the BODY of Christ. Not one of us can do it all alone, and where I am lacking, you will pick up the slack and so on.
    I am praying for you my friend. Please call me if you ever need to chat. My email is TJGrimm1@aol.com I will give you my number if you email me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want you ladies to know how much your comments mean to me. Parenting is soo hard, and with so much at stake, sometimes it just feels like "How could he have entrusted me with this???" Your encouragment is priceless. Jenn, I have read the love languages, both the adult and children versions, and I do think her love language is quality time. while we have a lot of time, the quality is hard to come by. I feel like she could suck me dry, and still feel like she needs me. Having a sibling has been very tough on her.

    ReplyDelete